It is an antifungal and antifungal medicine that stops fungal growth in the vaginal area.
- Each egg contains nystatin, 250,000 AU or 500,000 AU, as the active substance.
Therapeutic indication of nystatin ovules
Nystatin eggs are used for the treatment and control of vaginal yeast infection.
Candidiasis is an infection caused by a yeast (a type of fungus) called candida. Candida usually lives inside the body (in places like the mouth, throat, intestine, and vagina) and on the skin without causing any problems.
Candida can sometimes multiply and cause an infection if the environment inside the vagina changes in a way that encourages its growth.
Yeast infection in the vagina is commonly known as a ‘ vaginal yeast infection. ‘ Other names for this infection are:
- Vaginal yeast infection.
- Candidiasis vulvovaginal.
- Candida Vaginitis.
Some symptoms of yeast infection that can be treated with nystatin eggs include:
- Vaginal itching or pain.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Pain or discomfort when urinating.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
Although most vaginal yeast infections are mild, some women can develop severe conditions that involve redness, swelling, and cracks in the wall of the vagina.
Pharmacology and mechanism of action of nystatin ovules
Nystatin is an antifungal antibiotic extracted from streptomyces noursei, a yellowish powder, very poorly soluble in water. Nystatin has the effect of inhibiting or destroying the fungus based on the concentration and sensitivity of the fungus and does not affect the average lice bacteria in the body.
The most sensitive are yeasts, and they have a perfect effect on candida Albicans.
Mechanism of action: due to the binding to sterol of the membranes of the sensitive fungus, nystatin changes the permeability of the fungal membrane. Nystatin is well tolerated even with long-term treatment and without resistance.
Nystatin has an antipyretic action against the gastrointestinal tract of candida Albicans during antibiotic treatment.
Nystatin is poorly absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract; it is not absorbed through the skin or mucosa when used at the site; it is mainly excreted in the feces in metabolism.
Vaginal yeast infection
Vaginally: the adult applies 1-2 eggs at night for at least two weeks.
How to use nystatin ovules
- This product is for vaginal use only. Using the applicator, insert one egg deep into the vagina, usually once a day before going to bed for ten days or as directed by your doctor.
- Wash your hands before and after using this medicine. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placing an egg in the applicator. Insert the applicator into the vagina and press the plunger to release the drug.
- After each use, clean the applicator with warm soapy water and rinse well.
- Do not drink alcohol while using this medicine for at least 24 hours after stopping the treatment. Drinking alcohol while using this medication can cause stomach cramps, hot flashes, nausea, vomiting, and headaches.
- Continue to use this product until the total prescribed amount is completed, even if the symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the product too soon may cause the infection to reappear.
- Tell your doctor right away if your symptoms get worse or haven’t improved in 10 days. You may need additional medications to treat your condition.
- Your sexual partner may also require medications to prevent reinfection. Consult your doctor.
Warnings and attention
- KOH smears, cultures or other diagnostic methods are recommended to diagnose candidiasis rather than infection due to other pathogens.
- Although there has been an improvement in symptoms at the beginning of treatment, treatment should be continued according to the recommended dose.
- Do not use it for the treatment of systemic mycosis.
- Stop treatment if irritation or sensitization occurs.
- Giving to pregnant women is done considering the benefits and risks to the fetus.
- Be careful if it is given to women who are breastfeeding.
Side effects of nystatin ovules
Nystatin is generally well-tolerated in patients of all ages. However, some side effects may occur.
These might be:
- Vaginal burning/itching.
- Gritty sensation in the vagina.
- Bitter taste in the mouth.
- Stomach pain or nausea
Tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately if any of these effects persist or get worse.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medicine for you because they have determined that the benefit to you outweighs the risk of side effects. Many people using this medicine do not have serious side effects.
It is contraindicated in patients hypersensitive to nystatin.