It decreases the activity in your brain, which is helpful in treating social anxiety disorder.
Hydroxyzine ( vistaril ) is a drug that is prescribed for the short-term treatment of symptoms of anxiety and tension, as well as to treat allergic reactions.
Hydroxine may also be prescribed as an antihistamine , as it also works to block histamine, which relieves allergic skin reactions.
Prescription of hydroxyzine (vistaril)?
Vistaril may be prescribed as an antihistamine or to control anxiety and tension. Your doctor may choose this medication as a short-term treatment for anxiety or as an alternative to other habit-forming anxiety medications, such as benzodiazepines.
If you have combined allergies and anxiety, this drug may also be a good option. Vistaril is not a good option for the long-term treatment of your anxiety, as it has not been shown to be effective for this use.
How to take hydroxyzine (vistaril)?
If you were prescribed vistaril, you will usually take it in tablet or capsule form. Vistaril comes in two-tone 25 mg green capsules and 50 mg green and white capsules.
Vistaril is also available as a syrup or suspension liquid. You can continue your normal diet while taking vistaril.
Research on vistaril has focused primarily on its efficacy in treating generalized anxiety disorder. There are no studies indicating the effectiveness of vistaril for social anxiety disorder.
Hydroxyzine should not be prescribed for long-term treatment of anxiety lasting more than 4 months, as this use has not been supported by systematic clinical studies.
There is also research evidence to suggest that long-term use, particularly in older adults, could be linked to dementia. There are many other alternatives for treating your anxiety in the long term.
Hydroxine can be combined with other medications, such as antidepressants, depending on your specific symptoms, or with other treatments, such as psychotherapy, for anxiety disorders.
Hydroxyzine (vistaril) dosage
The common adult dose of hydroxyzine (vistaril) for anxiety and tension episodes is 50 to 100 mg every 6 hours or up to 4 times a day.
The dose for children under 6 years of age is 2 mg per kg per day in divided doses, not to exceed 50 mg per day. Hydroxyzine can be used in children to relieve anxiety and also as an antihistamine.
If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember it, but not if it is close to the time for your next dose. In that case, skip the dose instead of taking a double dose.
Hydroxyzine (vistaril) warnings and precautions
- You should not take vistaril if you have a hypersensitivity to hydroxyzine, Zyrtec (cetirizine), or Xyzal (levocetirizine).
- It is not recommended if you are pregnant or breastfeeding as it is not the same if it passes into breast milk or it could harm your baby or cause birth defects.
- Those with a heart condition that has a long QT interval should not take this drug as it can lead to serious heart problems. You should speak to your doctor if you have a history of heart disease or a slow or irregular heartbeat.
- You should use caution if you drive or are in charge of operating dangerous machinery or engaging in risky activities while using this medicine. The risk of overdose is low and the overall result is extreme sedation.
- Symptoms of an overdose include stupor, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or seizures. You should contact the poison control center or 911 in case of overdose. They will usually induce vomiting if it has not already occurred.
Interactions of hydroxyzine with other medications
Hydroxyzine can potentially interact with several medications, including narcotics, antihistamines, pain relievers, and barbiturates. The effect of alcohol can also be increased when taking hydroxyzine.
Be sure to tell your doctor about any over-the-counter or prescription medications you are taking or plan to take. Your doses may need to be adjusted or you may need to be monitored for side effects.
Hydroxyzine Side Effects
Common side effects of hydroxine can include:
- Dry mouth.
However, these effects are usually mild and short-lived.
In older adults, there may be constipation or confusion. Dizziness and headache are also reported. In rare cases, tremors or seizures may develop, usually with high doses.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience tremors or seizures. Stop taking it immediately and call your doctor if you develop a rash, pus-filled sores, swelling, and fever.
This drug should be stored out of the reach of children at a temperature below 30 ° C and in a moisture-free environment.