It is a type of plant chemical found mainly in citrus fruits. People use diosmin to make medicine.
Diosmin may help treat hemorrhoids by reducing swelling (inflammation) and restoring normal venous function .
Diosmin is used to treat various blood vessel disorders, including hemorrhoids, varicose veins, poor circulation in the legs (venous stasis), and bleeding (hemorrhage) in the eye or gums.
It is also used to treat arm swelling (lymphedema) after breast cancer surgery and to protect against liver toxicity. It is often taken in combination with hesperidin, another plant chemical.
Diosmin may help treat hemorrhoids by reducing swelling (inflammation) and restoring normal venous function.
Diosmin tablet is used in the treatment, control, prevention and improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
- Varicose veins
- Chronic venous insufficiency spider veins.
- Deep vein thrombosis.
- Stasis dermatitis.
- Venous ulcers.
- Chemopreventive effects.
Possibly effective for
- Hemorrhoids. Taking diosmin in high doses along with hesperidin appears to reduce hemorrhoid symptoms.
- Taking diosmin in lower doses along with hesperidin plus troxerutin or along with bulk laxatives also appears to reduce symptoms.
- Leg ulcers caused by poor circulation. Taking diosmin in combination with hesperidin and a pressure bandage appears to help heal leg ulcers caused by poor circulation.
- Swelling of the arms (lymphedema) after breast cancer surgery. Taking diosmin together with hesperidin does not reduce arm swelling after breast cancer surgery.
Diosmin is safe for most people when used short-term for up to 6 months. It can cause some side effects such as stomach and abdominal pain, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, redness and hives, muscle pain, blood problems, and altered heart rate.
Special precautions and warnings
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of diosmin during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay safe and avoid use.
- Bleeding disorders: Diosmin might make bleeding disorders worse.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
Diosmin tablet is made up of the following ingredients:
For hemorrhoids: For the treatment of hemorrhoids, Diosmin 1350 mg plus hesperidin 150 mg twice daily is used for 4 days followed by diosmin 900 mg and hesperidin 100 mg twice daily for 3 days.
In addition, 300 mg of diosmin, 300 mg of troxerutin and 300 mg of hesperidin will be used three times a day for 3 days, followed by twice a day for 2 days and then once a day for 7 days.
Thereafter, 300 mg of diosmin, 300 mg of troxerutin, and 100 mg of hesperidin are used daily for one month.
Some researchers also try 600 mg of diosmin three times a day for 4 days, followed by 300 mg twice a day for 10 days, in combination with 11 grams of psyllium daily.
However, this lower dose of diosmin does not appear to be as effective. For leg ulcers caused by poor circulation (venous stasis ulcers): 900 mg of diosmin plus 100 mg of hesperidin is used per day for up to 2 months.
Below is the list of medicines that contain Diosmin as an ingredient:
- Venusmin (Martin & Harris) 150 mg injection. Martin & Harris Pvt Ltd.
- Venusmin 300 Tablet. Walter Bushnell.
- Daflon 500 mg tablet. Serdia Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd.
- Venusmin 150mg Injection Martin & Harris Pvt Ltd.
- Tableta Dosmin 300 mg. Panbross Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Venusmin Tablet 900 mg. Walter Bushnell.
- Cream Locate. Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd.
- Daflon 1000 mg Tablet. Serdia Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd.