It is considered a drug capable of alleviating the symptoms of depressed mood.
Deantix is the combination of two ingredients, the active ingredients of flupenthixol (0.5mg), which has antipsychotic and melitracen (10mg) effects , which is a tricyclic antidepressant.
Both make up a preparation that when mixed, works maximizing the effect against the disease.
The combination of these two active ingredients gives them antidepressant , anxiolytic and stimulating properties.
- Diclorhidrato de Flupentixol C23H25F3N2OS.
- Melithracene Hydrochloride C21H25N.
Presentation of Deanxit
Pink, round and biconvex tablets of 10 / 0.5 mg.
Deanxit is prescribed for the treatment of mild and moderate anxiety and depression , in patients with or without psychosomatic symptoms.
Mechanism of action
The mechanism of action of tricyclic antidepressants is still uncertain.
It was always thought that tricyclic antidepressants inhibit the reuptake of amines (dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin), improving neurotransmission.
Although the biochemical activity of antidepressants is started as soon as it is administered, its therapeutic effect does not appear until after 2 to 4 weeks of treatment have elapsed.
Dosage of Deanxit
In the first dose, a dragee should be administered in the morning and at noon for the first 3 days.
In the usual dose, one or two tablets should be administered, one in the morning and another at noon.
If necessary, a third dose should be added to prevent sleep disturbance , so it should be administered before 6 in the evening.
In the case of geriatric patients it is sufficient to administer only one tablet a day, in the morning.
To suspend treatment, it must be done gradually and under medical supervision.
It is common for patients to respond to Deanxit treatment quickly.
Although if the maximum dose has been administered for a week without significant changes, it is likely that suspension of treatment is recommended.
Like most medications, the administration of Deanxit can cause adverse effects, although they do not occur in all patients.
Side effects are rare and of low intensity, usually solved with continued treatment.
But when the side effects are very intense or have a duration greater than days, you should inform the doctor.
The most frequent side effects may include dizziness and tremors.
Blurred vision can be presented with great difficulty to read small letters.
It has also been reported difficulty to fall asleep, symptoms such as restlessness, agitation, dry mouth, constipation and fatigue.
There are also rare side effects which may include:
The presence of suicidal ideas or suicidal behavior, formation of blood clots in the veins and particularly in the legs, whose symptoms include swelling, pain and redness in the legs.
The clots can move through the bloodstream until they are able to reach the lungs and in turn cause severe pain in the chest and difficulty breathing.
If these symptoms are observed, the doctor should be consulted immediately.
In geriatric patients suffering from dementia, a slight increase in the number of deaths has been reported in the comparative studies of patients who are administered antipsychotics with those who do not.
Warnings and contraindications of Deanxit
Deanxit should not be administered in those cases that present:
Hypersensitivity to the drug components (allergy) to flupenthixol, melitracene or any of the other components of Deanxit.
In case of having suffered from a heart attack (myocardial infarction) in recent times.
In case of having suffered from alterations of the normal rhythm of the heart, which can be observed in an electrocardiogram .
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors include drugs such as phenelzine, iproniazide, isocarboxazide, nialamide, tranylcypromine and moclobemide, which are also indicated for the treatment of depressive states.
Although the treatment of any of the following monoamine oxidase inhibitors has been suspended, it is advisable to wait two weeks before starting to take Deanxit, in the case of phenelzine, iproniazide, isocarboxazide, nialamide and tranylcypromine.
And it must have been at least a day since the moclobemide was stopped.
Deanxit in tablets is contraindicated in patients with severe depression.
Also for patients who must remain with treatments in hospitals or that it is necessary electro-convulsive therapy, for its treatment, as well as it should not be administered in patients with excitable or hyperactive behaviors.
Special care must be taken with the administration of Deanxit when the following pathologies have been presented:
- If the patient suffers from some disorder in the liver.
- If the patient has a history of attacks or seizures.
- If the patient suffers from diabetes, and if absolutely necessary, he or she will probably need an adjustment of the antidiabetic treatment.
- If the patient suffers from an organic brain syndrome or a mental disorder that results from alcohol intoxication or organic solvents.
- If a patient or someone in your family has a history of clot formation in the blood, due to the risk of administering this drug, since it has been linked to the formation of blood clots.
- In the case of children and adolescents, Deanxit can not be used in the treatment of depression for this age group.
In studies that have been conducted on the application of treatment for depression, performed in this age group, tricyclic antidepressants have not shown favorable effects.
Because it has been observed a greater occurrence of suicide attempts, of some suicidal ideas and of certain hostility, with predominance in symptoms of aggression, confrontational behavior and irritation.
Likewise, it has been reported that the administration of Deanxit, in these age groups, leads to an increased risk of the appearance of adverse effects related to the cardiovascular system .
The risk of suicide is associated with psychiatric disorders and suicidal thoughts that are common in patients with depressive symptoms.
These risks often persist until the antidepressant effect of the treatment is present in the patient.
In the case that the patient is under depressive states and / or suffers from an anxiety disorder, he may sometimes have thoughts that incite him to harm himself or induce him to commit suicide.
These behaviors increase when taking antidepressants for the first time, since these drugs require a time to start their effects, usually about two weeks, although in some cases they could take a longer time.
The patient is more likely to present this type of thoughts when:
- Previously he has presented this type of thoughts.
- The patient is a young adult under 25 years of age with psychiatric illness who has already been treated with antidepressants.
As for episodes of mania, it has been reported in some patients suffering from bipolar disorders that can enter this phase.
Which is characterized by the individual has frequent changes of ideas, exaggerated joys, and excessive physical activity.
In these cases, it is very important to consult your doctor, as it is very likely that a change in treatment is made.
Some type of medication can affect the action of other drugs and, in some cases, can cause very serious antagonistic reactions.
Special caution should be used when prescribing Deanxit in combination with the following medications:
- Other tricyclic antidepressants.
- Lithium, for the case of prevention and treatment of bipolar disorders.
- It should not be given at the same time as ephedrine, isoprenaline, phenylephrine, noradrenaline, phenylpropanolamine and some medicines to fight the cold.
- Anticholinergic drugs such as atropine and hyoscyamine.
- The medications that are used to reduce blood pressure.
- Those medications that cause drowsiness.
- The medications used for the treatment of epilepsy.
- With Levodopa, which is the drug used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- With metoclopramide used in the treatment of intestinal disorders.
- Piperazine, one of the treatments that have been used for the treatment of intestinal worm infections.
- In case the patient should undergo surgery or dental treatment that requires the use of local or general anesthesia, you should inform the doctor who is in treatment with Deanxit.