It is used to treat bacterial infections in many different parts of the body. It is also used to prevent anthrax infections.
It is also used to treat and prevent plague (including pneumonic and septicemic plague). Bredelin belongs to the class of medications known as quinolone antibiotics.
It works by killing the bacteria or preventing their growth. However, it will not work for colds, flu or other virus infections. This medicine is available only with the prescription of your doctor.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Bredelin and other antibacterial drugs, it should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria.
When culture and susceptibility information is available, they should be considered when selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy.
In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empirical selection of therapy.
Bredelin is indicated for the treatment of adults (≥18 years of age) with mild, moderate and severe infections caused by susceptible isolates of the designated microorganisms under the conditions listed in this section:
Nosocomial pneumonia: it is indicated for the treatment of nosocomial pneumonia due to methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Serratia marcescens, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae or Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Adjuvant therapy should be used as indicated clinically. When Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a documented or suspected pathogen, combination therapy with an anti-pseudomonal β-lactam is recommended.
Pneumonia acquired in the community : treatment regime of 7 to 14 days. It is indicated for the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia due to the susceptible methicillin Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae (including Streptococcus pneumoniae resistant to multiple drugs).
También Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila o Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
Acute bacterial sinusitis: treatment regimens of 5 days and 10-14 days, is indicated for the treatment of acute bacterial sinusitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Other conditions for which it is also indicated:
- Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis.
- Complicated infections of the skin and the structure of the skin.
- Uncomplicated infections of the skin and the structure of the skin.
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis.
- Complicated urinary tract infections.
- Pielonefritis aguda.
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections.
- Inhalation of anthrax (post-exposure).
How to manage it?
Use Bredelin as directed by your doctor. Check the medication label to see the exact dosage instructions.
- The medication comes with an additional patient information sheet called the Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again every time you go back to Bredelin treatments.
- It is recommended to drink extra fluids while taking this medication. Check with your doctor for instructions. Bredelin is usually given as an injection in your doctor’s office, hospital or clinic.
- If you are going to use Bredelin at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use the medication.
- Follow the procedures you are taught when using a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Bredelin if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local regulations for disposal.
- Bredelin works best if used at the same time every day. To completely clear up your infection, use this medication throughout the treatment.
- Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not miss any dose of the medication. If you miss a dose of Bredelin, use it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not use 2 doses at a time or more than 1 dose in 1 day. Ask your doctor any questions you have about how to use the medication.