They are designed to promote weight loss, maintain a healthy weight, and reverse the visible aging process.
The diet of Perricone is a diet with effects on inflammation and aging based on the consumption of fish, especially salmon, and nutritional supplements.
The Perricone diet was developed by the dermatologist Dr. Nicholas Perricone, who affirms that indicated nutrition is essential to prevent and eliminate wrinkles in the skin. And later, this anti-aging diet was adapted into a weight loss program.
Recommends foods with abundant antioxidants and low in carbohydrates.
The Perricone diet is promoted to lose weight, improve physique, and slow down aging.
The essential components of the Perricone diet are foods rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants.
The diet emphasizes eating fish and suggests eating salmon at least five times a week and with the frequency of two or three times a day.
- Fish. In addition to salmon, there are other fish allowed in the diet, such as tuna, cod, shellfish, sole, flounder, swordfish, halibut, trout, and seafood.
- Low-fat milk and cottage cheese.
- Egg whites
- Olives and olive oil.
- Fruits such as citrus, melon, apples, kiwi, sweet melon, nectarines, peaches, pears, vegetables such as tomatoes and tomato juice
- Eight to 10 glasses of spring water per day.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants.
In addition to salmon, Perricone developed a list called the ten “superfoods” that are rich in essential fatty acids, fiber, or antioxidants; these foods are:
Onions, garlic and leeks, barley, blue-green algae, wheatgrass and barley grass, buckwheat, seeds, beans, lentils, hot peppers, nuts, seeds, sprouts, and yogurt.
- Bread or flour, pasta, rice, cereal, popcorn, pizza.
- Sugar and soft drinks.
- Red meats
- Most cheeses, butter, and margarine.
- Fruits include grapes, watermelon, bananas, carrots, corn, and potatoes.
The glycemic index
The glycemic index evaluates quality rather than the number of carbohydrates found in food.
Quality refers to how blood sugar levels rise after eating food.
The basis of the glycemic index is glucose, to which an index value of 100 is assigned.
Other foods are compared to glucose to reach their ratings. Generally, a high value is considered between 70 and more, an average glycemic index varies from 56 to 69, and a low glycemic index value is 55 or less.
The glycemic index for some foods is as follows:
- Corn Flakes: 83.
- Pomelo: 25.
- Watermelon: 72
- Sugar: 64
- French fries: 56
- White bread: 70
- Sourdough bread: 54.
- Macaroni: 46
- Baked red potato: 93.
- French fries: 75
- Yogurt natural: 14.
- Salmon: 0
Foods with a glycemic index of more than fifty should be avoided.
Stop the visible aging process, eliminate acne and bags and dark circles around the eyes, prevent weight loss and lower the risk of diseases.
You should consult with the doctor when people take a blood thinner, such as Coumadin ( warfarin ), pregnant women, or breastfeeding.
Also, people with existing medical conditions, including heart disease and diabetes.
The menu of the 28-day anti-inflammatory diet
- Three to four ounces of smoked salmon. Half a cup of cooked oatmeal, a teaspoon of almonds, and eight ounces of green tea or water.
- Six ounces of unflavored Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of pomegranate juice and eight ounces of water.
- Four to six ounces of a grilled turkey burger, lettuce, and a slice of tomato.
- Half a cup of three-grain salad (chickpeas, beans, black beans dressed with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and a clove of minced garlic) served on a cabbage bed. Eight ounces of water
- One hard-boiled egg, two sticks of celery, three Brazil nuts, and eight ounces of water.
- Four to six ounces of grilled salmon, a cup of lentil soup, a green salad with olive oil and lemon juice, half a cup of steamed spinach, and green tea or water.
The Perricone essential diet consists of five meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks.
Protein-rich foods should be eaten before the rest of the meal.