The purpose of this diet is to stop diarrhea and the symptoms of gastroenteritis.
Known as astringent diet or the diet for diarrhea, which is necessary to avoid the loss of fluids and minerals, so in this diet, it is essential to restore fluids through water, juice, broth or soups, tea and rehydration drinks.
Diarrhea is a symptom of an eating disorder that may have been caused by rapid diets, medications, some viruses or chronic diseases, among others.
An astringent diet is one that benefits constipation, through the decrease of intestinal mobility and the presence of fluids.
It is a measure used to combat diarrhea, both acute and chronic.
This diet is indicated in the case of diarrhea, both acute and infectious, toxic and chronic.
Which are caused by intestinal diseases, sequelae of surgical interventions, food intolerances, side effects of chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
It is based on an astringent diet whose objective is to speed up the work to the digestive tract, in the process of absorption of nutrients and digestion.
Therefore, the consumption of cooked and grilled, boiled or steamed foods is recommended.
Recommended foods in the astringent diet
- Yogurt without lactose.
- Drinks such as plenty of water, oral serum, alkaline lemonade, tea, soft broth without fat, chamomile.
- Lean meats, white fish (cod, scorpion fish, conger eel, redfish, sole, hake, turbot) and boiled eggs (only two or three per week).
- Pasta, rice, potato, carrot or any cooked or mashed vegetables.
- Toasts and white bread.
- Fruits like apple, banana, lemon, quince.
- Oil in small quantities.
As for the culinary techniques, it is best to prepare the menus boiled, baked, grilled or steamed.
Foods prohibited in the astringent diet
Among the foods that can cause diarrhea or exacerbate it, the following are known:
- Dairy products, yogurt can be consumed, since the lactose in them has already been partially digested by bacteria.
- Foods with fat, fried foods, cold meats or sausages since they irritate the gastrointestinal mucosa and delay digestion.
- The raw fiber of fruits or vegetables.
- Fats (butter, margarine, oil), dried fruits, spicy foods, wholemeal flours, fruits or vegetables.
- Coffee and orange juice with sugar, these stimulate stomach reflexes and should be avoided in an astringent diet.
- Flatulent vegetables and grains.
- Fat meats, such as lamb, duck and blue fish.
- Fruits (except banana and apple) including natural juices.
- Fatty sauces such as béchamel and mayonnaise, nuts and pastries.
- Alcoholic and carbonated drinks.
- Spicy foods, fried, stewed, coated, etc.
- Avoid breaded, stews, stews, marinated, fried and battered.
Steps of the astringent diet
In stage one, called absolute diet, experts do not recommend eating any food during the first hours.
You should drink only water with salt, sugar, lemon or bicarbonate.
Normally oral serums are sold in pharmacies or home made with: One liter of boiled water, with two tablespoons of sugar, a teaspoon of salt, a lemon juice and a half teaspoon of baking soda.
You can also consume the boiled rice water.
This hydrating drink should be consumed every hour, since it is essential to avoid the loss of fluids.
The second phase includes boiled rice or semolina or cereal creams.
In acute diarrhea, it is recommended to follow the diet in a strict manner in the first two to three days, even following an initial fasting stage.
Then you can include pasta, toast, soft meats or boiled vegetables.
Afterwards, the food will be consumed grilled and when the recovery has already begun, vegetables and vegetables will be added little by little, then milk and coffee consumption will be finished.
It is advisable to eat small quantities frequently.
The astringent diet is usually a sufficient treatment in most acute diarrhea and do not need pharmacological treatment, only dietary measures.
The strict compliance of the diet favors the fastest recovery and it is convenient to make a progressive, slow feeding, to avoid relapses.
In chronic diarrhea, it will be observed which are the foods that usually generate them, in order to avoid them.
- Toasted white bread, apple compote and tea with little sweetener.
- Bread with fruit.
- Rice with carrot.
- ½ chicken breast seasoned with lemon on the griddle.
- A slice of bread.
- A cambur of postre.
In mid afternoon
- Tea and cookies Maria type.
- Boiled hake.
- Carrots in puree.
- A slice bread.
- A natural yogurt
- A yogurt.
- 25 gr of cooked ham.
- 2 slices of bread toast.
- Coffee or tea.
- Roasted apple
- A quarter of parboiled chicken or two wheels of parboiled fish.
- Soup with noodles
- An Apple.
- A slice of bread and tea.
- 150 grams of boiled potatoes.
- A boiled quince.
You can season with a pinch of oil, olive and extra virgin.
Warnings in the astringent diet
The astringent diet if it is not done with caution could disturb the balance in a child’s diet, negatively affecting the immune system of children.
Do not give up breastfeeding children to feed on astringent substances, since you can continue feeding with breast milk.
The most significant risk is the loss of minerals and water that is produced by continuous dehydration.