It is a diet used to lose weight quickly and is described as a very low calorie diet.
It is one of the oldest low carbohydrate diets and is still made by some people.
The Scarsdale diet was a 2-page typewritten document, so as not to have to repeat it and for patients to remember it.
It was designed in the 1950s by a cardiologist, Dr. Herman Tarnower, in Scarsdale, who had written a calorie reduction guide for people in need of weight loss.
Tarnower patients often copied the diet of their friends, who in turn sent photocopies to other friends.
The Scarsdale diet can be synthesized as a diet low in calories and low in carbohydrates where a ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is prepared, in order to lose weight.
In the case of a woman of adult age who follows this diet should consume 650 – 1000 calories daily.
The amount of nutrients, is what makes it different because it is rare for a diet low in carbohydrates: 43% protein, 22.5% fat and 34.5% carbohydrates.
The Scarsdale diet should be performed for 7 to 14 days, alternating with 2 weeks for rest.
You should drink at least four glasses of water, diet soft drinks or tea daily to eliminate the materials that the body discards.
The condiments allowed are: salt, lemon, pepper, herbs, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ketchup.
Basically, the Scarsdale diet is a diet with an important characteristic; its rigidity.
Calories are not counted, but the diet is restricted to 3 meal plans, snacks are not allowed.
Grapefruit is the centerpiece: 18 servings during the first two weeks of the regimen, 14 for breakfast and 4 for dessert during lunch or dinner.
Basic diet menu
- Coffee or tea with sweetener, half grapefruit, this is the breakfast menu that will be constant during the first 2 weeks of the diet.
- Lean beef, fish or chicken, accompanied with tomato salad plus tea or coffee.
- Grilled fish plus tomato and lettuce salad, half grapefruit.
- Coffee or tea with sweetener, half grapefruit.
- Salad with tuna and half a grapefruit.
- Two lean pork chops, coffee, mixed green salad.
- Coffee or tea with sweetener, half grapefruit.
- Cheese, spinach, a slice of dried toast.
- Grilled fish, green salad, 1 slice of toast.
Variations in the basic diet
There are 4 different options that offer in the diet to give a little more variety.
- Coffee or tea with sweetener and half grapefruit / half a cup of pineapple cut into cubes / half papaya / half mango / half melon.
- Egg and chicken liver, tomato, lettuce, celery, olives, endives, a slice of protein toast, coffee, tea.
- Soup, baked chicken breast, spinach, a peach, raspberries, more tea or coffee.
- Eggplant with pickles and cheese sticks, vegetable salad, with vinegar and lemon, a peach with raspberry sauce, more coffee or tea.
- Baked mushrooms, Neapolitan beef, a quarter cup of rice, zucchini stew, coffee or tea.
Menu to save money
- Half grapefruit or melon, tea or coffee with sweetener.
- 2 eggs, prepared without fat, zucchini, a slice of dry protein bread.
- Boiled or roasted chicken, without skin, lots of spinach, tea or coffee.
The foundation of the Scarsdale diet is to lose weight fast.
It is not a lifelong weight control regimen, one of its distinctive features, it is that it indicates changing: 1 or 2 weeks following the diet and 2 weeks for the rest.
The only benefit of this diet is the rapid weight loss at the beginning of the regimen.
The Scarsdale diet has been rejected by experts and nutritionists for having many deficiencies regarding health:
- Nothing is said about the importance of exercise, on the other hand they indicate that the 700 to 1000 calories allowed per day are not suitable for a healthy woman.
- Even a moderately active woman, let alone one who practices sports or some other type of physical exercise.
- The elimination of milk in this diet represents that the intake of calcium in the diet is too low, which implies risks for the post-menopausal woman or over 50 years.
- The menu is so strict that the dieter does not learn how to choose foods wisely during the 2 weeks of the diet or in those situations such as meals with family or friends or outings to restaurants.
- Most of the weight that is lost is weight in water, and it can be recovered quickly when the daily feeding is restored.
The Scarsdale diet does not accept enough calories for women with an active lifestyle or growing teenagers.
It is totally inadequate for children.
It carries risks such as fatigue, irritability, diarrhea, constipation and a higher risk to the formation of gallstones.
The low carbohydrate profile of the diet represents a risk of potential kidney or liver damage as a result of ketosis .
The risks associated with ketosis are one of the main reasons why the Scarsdale diet should not be used for more than two weeks.
This diet represents a risk for pregnant women, alcoholics and people who have already been diagnosed with kidney or liver diseases.