What is it and how does it happen?
This condition occurs when a blood clot blocks one or more veins, usually occurring in the legs. Also known as phlebitis, it very rarely affects veins of the neck or arms.
Deep vein thrombosis occurs when the condition occurs within a muscle, because the vein affected by the clot is at a deeper level of the skin.
Because it happens?
There are some reasons why an episode of thrombophlebitis may be triggered, such as:
- Recent surgery.
- Prolonged sedentarism.
- Trauma or blows.
People with a tendency to varicose veins are also a population with higher risk of developing this condition.
Serious health risks mean that a blood clot affects a deep vein, which can travel to the lungs and clog arteries, causing what is known as pulmonary embolism.
Is there any treatment?
Under normal conditions, doctors prescribe anticoagulant medications to treat superficial and severe thrombophlebitis.
What are your symptoms?
In case of thrombophlebitis at the superficial level of the skin, it occurs:
- Swelling in the area.
- Feeling of heat and pain.
In cases of deep vein thrombosis occurs:
- Swelling in the affected area
In many cases, a thin red hard cord can be seen under the skin, because when the vein becomes inflamed, it is sensitive to pain.
Are there some risk factors?
- Confinement in bed for long periods of time.
- Pacemaker placement.
- Use pills for hormone replacement or contraception.
Family history of blood coagulation disorders or tendency to form blood clots easily.
– Pulmonary embolism. When a part of the clot breaks, it can travel to the lungs, blocking an artery (embolism), seriously endangering the patient’s life
– Post-thrombotic syndrome. It can occur months or years after a deep vein thrombosis. This causes disabling pain, heaviness in the affected limb.
Other care problems may occur in case the veins in the legs do not work properly:
– Discoloration of the skin. Discoloration can occur with chronic inflammation and increased pressure on the skin. Sometimes ulcers of the skin can develop. If you suspect a skin ulcer is forming, call your doctor.
– Swelling. Inflammation of the legs can occur due to poor circulation.
– Varicose veins. It also occurs as a result of blood pooling in the veins.
When to consult a doctor?
In case the patient sees a red vein that is inflamed and sensitive, it is necessary to consult the doctor immediately.
Generally, if the person feels pain in the chest, and shortness of breath it is essential to go to a hospital as soon as possible, since it can present a picture of deep vein thrombosis, and it is necessary to avoid that the clot travels through the bloodstream to the patients. lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism.