It is a derivative of estradiol, a synthetic estrogen that is used topically to restore and maintain the life of the tissues of the female genital tract.
All this without producing estrogenic effects in organs such as the uterus, breast, pituitary gland or others.
- Promestriene comes in two forms: vaginal and cream capsules for topical use and with applicator.
Promestriene is indicated for vaginitis , menopausal atrophic vaginitis and menopausal urinary disorders or hyperseborrhea , exerting estrogenic effects on the internal mucosa of the genital tract and restoring trophicity.
It is used to improve the condition of the patient after a corrective surgical treatment of urinary incontinence, favoring the tropism and vascularization of the muscular tissue of the vagina.
Mechanism of action of Promestrieno
Promestriene prevents the loss of elasticity and the thinning of vaginal tissues in the stages of female life where the vagina has low levels of hormones such as estrogen. This usually happens with the advent of menopause.
The promestrieno works avoiding the thinning of the vaginal mucous membranes and the loss of elasticity, in this way the sexual life is improved and the risks of urinary infection, the vaginitis due to atrophy and in a future the urinary incontinence are diminished .
- The application of promestriene cream is performed on the external part of the genitals, is executed directly with the hand covering the entire surface and performing a light massage.
- In the intravaginal application, the applicator is loaded, until reaching the mark that corresponds to the recommended dose of cream.
- Once it has been loaded, it is introduced into the vagina by injecting the dose into the interior.
- In the case of the use of the capsules, these are introduced by hand into the vagina.
- The most suitable position, to introduce the drug into the vagina, is lying on your back, with both legs flexed and separated.
- The administration time and the dosage of the promestriene should be adapted to the progress of the treatment.
- The use of the medication at bedtime is recommended, thus increasing the effectiveness of the treatment.
- It is likely that once the treatment is completed, a maintenance period is recommended.
- The recommended dose is one or two applications per day, in the case of cream, with the necessary amount that covers the entire surface.
- In those cases where intravaginal application is considered, it will be done with the device, in the case of the cream or the capsule, once or twice a day, with the application of one of the doses at night before going to bed.
Side effects of Promestrieno
Promestriene, is a product that is only used as a vaginal topic and just under one percent of the drug, goes to the bloodstream, without presenting systemic hormonal effects with the application of the treatment.
Side effects are very rare occurrence and among them irritations and itching have been reported only in the area where it is applied.
Allergies to the components have been reported.
Vaginal hemorrhages as an adverse reaction related to the administration of the product, have had a low percentage of occurrence.
Warnings and contraindications
The hypersensitivity to the component, during lactation, in the case of history, presence or suspicion of breast cancer, with a history or suspicion of the presence of malignant tumors linked to the production of estrogens such as endometrial cancer.
Also presence of genital bleeding without diagnosis, conditions of endometrial hyperplasia without treatment.
In the case of venous thromboembolism and thrombophilic disorders known as protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency.
Presence of arterial thromboembolic diseases such as angina pectoris or myocardial infarction .
Presence of acute liver diseases and Porphyria among others.
Promestriene is not indicated in the pregnancy period. However, according to the results obtained in several epidemiological investigations, it was found that there is no risk of deformities caused by estrogen in the early stages of pregnancy.
Therefore, the appearance of the pregnancy while the treatment is performed does not justify its interruption.
It is recommended to be prudent during the period of lactation and to avoid the administration of promestriene.
Interactions of Promestrieno
Latex male condoms: The risk of condom breakage during use, when fatty substances or lubricants are present is quite high.
Therefore, special care must be taken when using condoms during the promestriene treatment, since there are no guarantees of protection from a possible pregnancy.
Spermicides: Any type of topical vaginal treatment can inactivate the effect of contraception of a local spermicide.