It is a derivative of estradiol, a synthetic estrogen used topically to restore and maintain the life of the tissues of the female genital tract.
All this without producing estrogenic effects in organs such as the uterus, breast, pituitary gland, or others.
- Promestriene comes in two forms: vaginal and cream capsules for topical use and applicator.
Promestriene is indicated for vaginitis, menopausal atrophic vaginitis, and menopausal urinary disorders or hypermenorrhea, exerting estrogenic effects on the internal mucosa of the genital tract and restoring trophic.
It is used to improve the patient’s condition after a corrective surgical treatment of urinary incontinence, favoring the tropism and vascularization of the muscular tissue of the vagina.
Mechanism of action of Promestrieno
Promestriene prevents the loss of elasticity and the thinning of vaginal tissues in female life stages where the vagina has low levels of hormones such as estrogen. This usually happens with the advent of menopause.
The promestrieno works, avoiding the thinning of the vaginal mucous membranes and the loss of elasticity; in this way, the sexual life is improved, and the risks of urinary infection, the vaginitis due to atrophy, and a future the urinary incontinence are diminished.
- The application of promestriene cream is performed on the outer part of the genitals and is executed directly with the hand covering the entire surface and performing a light massage.
- In the intravaginal application, the applicator is loaded until reaching the mark that corresponds to the recommended dose of cream.
- Once loaded, it is introduced into the vagina by injecting the amount into the interior.
- In the case of using the capsules, these are presented by hand into the vagina.
- The most suitable position to introduce the drug into the vagina is lying on your back, with both legs flexed and separated.
- The administration time and the dosage of the promestriene should be adapted to the progress of the treatment.
- The use of the medication at bedtime is recommended, thus increasing the effectiveness of the treatment.
- It is likely that once the treatment is completed, a maintenance period is recommended.
- The recommended dose is one or two applications per day, in the case of cream, with the necessary amount that covers the entire surface.
- In those cases where the intravaginal application is considered, it will be done with the device, in the case of the cream or the capsule, once or twice a day, with the application of one of the doses at night before going to bed.
Side effects of Promestrieno
Promestriene is a product that is only used as a vaginal topic. Just under one percent of the drug goes to the bloodstream without presenting systemic hormonal effects with the application of the treatment.
Side effects are an infrequent occurrence, and irritations and itching have been reported only in the area where it is applied.
Allergies to the components have been reported.
Vaginal hemorrhages, as an adverse reaction related to the administration of the product, have had a low percentage of the occurrence.
Warnings and contraindications
During lactation, the hypersensitivity to the component, in the case of history, presence, or suspicion of breast cancer, with a history or fear of malignant tumors linked to the production of estrogens such as endometrial cancer.
Also, genital bleeding without a diagnosis and conditions of endometrial hyperplasia without treatment.
In the case of venous thromboembolism and thrombophilic disorders known as protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency.
Presence of arterial thromboembolic diseases such as angina pectoris or myocardial infarction.
Presence of acute liver diseases and Porphyria, among others.
Promestriene is not indicated in the pregnancy period. However, according to the results obtained in several epidemiological investigations, it was found that there is no risk of deformities caused by estrogen in the early stages of pregnancy.
Therefore, the appearance of the pregnancy while the treatment is performed does not justify its interruption.
It is recommended to be prudent during the period of lactation and to avoid the administration of promestriene.
Interactions of Promestrieno
Latex male condoms: The risk of condom breakage during use when fatty substances or lubricants are present is relatively high.
Therefore, special care must be taken when using condoms during the promestriene treatment since there are no guarantees of protection from a possible pregnancy.