10 Golden Tips to Keep a Healthy Mind
Our mind and brain functions are and always will be an eternal enigma, worthy of great study, but we already know a lot about our mental health to the point where we can offer advice to extend their capabilities more complex and more efficiently. Below we will give you 10 tips that can really help you maintain a healthy mind and an appropriate lifestyle.
1. Strengthen the network and social affects: social support and the ability to integrate into any group with which one identifies are basic to maintaining mental health . The willingness to establish and strengthen romantic relationships as well. For many neuroscientists, love is one of the most important activities of the mind, which implies, among other things, intellectual understanding and emotional availability.
2. Use the head: sleep and rest, if there is a disorder in these functions can atrophy the brain. For mental exercise, the mind can and must do several things at once – read – have the mechanisms to do it, take advantage of them. Although they still know very little about degenerative brain disease, it has been observed that it affects more people who do not practice activities, they have less and less interest in intellectual activities, degrading their lifestyle. Reading is an activity especially conducive to exercise the mind, since it involves several mental abilities such as concentration, memory, abstract thinking, imagination, etc. Strategy games also improve memory and the neural network .
3. Cultivando la Espiritualidad: independientemente de un credo particular o de la adhesión formal a una religión en particular, la búsqueda de una dimensión espiritual puede ser la búsqueda de un mayor sentido a la vida y el mundo, es una manera de mantenerse “de pie” algunos de sus valores es mantener la nobleza del alma. También trabaja en la salud: los médicos informan que los pacientes que tienen o buscan una implicación espiritual responden mejor al tratamiento y son dados de alta antes.
4. Exercise with pleasure: physical activity, among other things, stimulates the production of substances that promote psychological well-being, such as beta-endorphins (hormones linked to the sensation of pleasure). For a healthy mind, it does not matter much about the type and intensity of the activity – the best thing is the exercise that you like to do. The warning with activities that involve competence or performance requirement, can become a factor of stress. The best activities are done outdoors: exposure to sunlight is important to maintain emotional balance.
5. Maintain a healthy and regular diet: although dietary supplements have shown an effective action in the prevention of disease, the lack of nutrients found in some foods naturally affect the development and maintenance of brain functions. The first meal of the day is the most important, is when the hormone cortisol, considered the “teacher” of other hormones, is increasing, and is essential for the proper functioning of the mind.
6. Sleep Care: Sleep well is essential to maintain and balance the functions of the brain . During sleep, in addition to areas that were hyperactive during the day, the brain has the opportunity to activate other areas that are underutilized, which, it is believed, help to balance brain functions. The question goes far beyond the number of hours of sleep, which varies for each individual. The important thing, doctors say, is to ensure the quality of sleep. If you do not suffer from a specific disease, behavioral measures (such as turning off problems and creating rituals before going to bed) and environmental measures (such as a quiet, dark room) can guarantee a good night – and a “good” head at night. wake.
7. Creation of space for oneself: in the day to day, create opportunities to have contact with the inner world, to listen and understand what the body and mind are asking. This can occur through a process of isolation, such as meditation, or, if necessary, with the help of a psychotherapist. In any case, you have to do it systematically, organize yourself to take the time to take care of yourself and stay healthy.
8 Breathe fully: diaphragmatic breathing (which, in inspiration, conducts air to the abdomen region) is one of the simplest and most efficient ways to achieve a state of physical and mental relaxation, both in the short and long term methods . By pushing the air in the abdominal region, expanding it, helps increase the area of pulmonary oxygenation and also oxygenate the brain better. Babies breathe naturally correctly, but most people unlearn this ability as they grow up, replacing it with chest breathing, short and rapid breathing, which is sent in a message to the body and mind in an anguished situation ( chest pain caused by diaphragm contraction) and danger (the induction of physiological reactions to stress). That is to say,
9. Go after big or small pleasures: let your mind be open to pleasure, and pick it up, it is an excellent energy for mental health. Respect your own desires, as what you do best, gratify yourself for your efforts and achievements, create a virtuous circle of good humor, increase self-esteem, confidence and mental balance.
10. Control of Cholesterol, pressure, stress, weight, and finally, the commands of the healthy heart: cardiovascular risk factors culminate not only in heart disease, but also in brain injuries such as stroke and cerebral sclerosis . All the attention given to the heart is also considered for the prevention of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.